Wildstar MMO

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Hanno

Wildstar MMO

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Beta registration is up for Wildstar:

http://www.wildstar-online.com/uk/#page1

This is a very cartoony/humour based MMO which will also include housing.

Might be interesting when it arrives.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Re: Wildstar MMO

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue May 28, 2013 3:52 pm

yeah, from NCsoft. Checked a few things about it, could be fun.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Bad news is this is going to be subscription based - well sort of.
You will get a free month when you buy the game but then
you can buy extra months with gold earnt in game or with real money after.
Obviously the question will be how hard will it be to earn gold enough to pay off you sub

More details (sort of ):
http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/business-model/

Of course it will probably turn free to play in the long run like most MMO's seem to these days.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Well you could always buy the game, test it for the month and then come back when it falls into F2P in a years time.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 pm

OH right i forgot about this. Anyone checking this out?

And their thing about the gold farming site, that its not getting anything.. riiight. Am I missing something or are they just ignoring the fact that gold farmers will be selling gold for the cheapest price. Still i guess, they are now having to take into account other players that will drop their prices. Maybe, very maybe it will make it not profitable for them to function.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:13 pm

Sounds like another Aion in the making then with gold sellers, and that you can pay with earned in-game gold, uber grinding required ....

Probably have a cash shop with all the usual junk, xp, loot, whatever boosters etc.

Time these developers realised we want more than this from a game, and the first one to do it will keep a paying customer for more than 2 months :)
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 pm

[FnG] Sphinx wrote:Time these developers realised we want more than this from a game, and the first one to do it will keep a paying customer for more than 2 months :)

But you don't want to be a paying customer :-)

I actually think both subs and ftp are bad. Subscription adds up to far too much the long term, while
FTP often lack the quality and is complicated by extra 'currencies' for the in game purchases.

I prefer GW model where you bought the game ONCE but then they should guarantee servers and updates for say a minimum 3 year period.
I do not like the sound of the wildstar "buy this game and then pay again every month for it- unless you can be bothered to grind for gold"
I bet they go free to play before a year is out, I think with all the free to play games out there these days there isn't a market for this.

Its a shame as the game looked interesting, but as a casual player I am not getting into a situation where I feel I HAVE
to play to earn enough gold to cover not paying the sub.

Also I don't mind them selling gold in game, as its got to reduce gold farmers a little bit and that's peoples choice.
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:09 pm

I agree with you to a Hanno, not having to pay is ideal, but not realistic either. I don't mind paying into a game, but I don't want a monthly subscription. I actually like the DDO model. They have a monthly subscription for those that want it, a Premium option, where you buy Turbine Points and then buy whatever you want from the store, be it content, cosmetics, boosts, consumables etc. and a free to play option, where you can, if you grind really hard, be able to buy everything without spending a penny.

DDO is actually quite expensive to play when you add it all up, but then again, they are still adding new content, and updating things, even though their most recent update has been less than desirable in some respects (but that's going off the point), but when you then spread that costs over say 4 years, it is suddenly not that bad.

In my opinion, most of the games at the moment are all essentially the same:

Persistent world - I want an instanced one
No proper story - I want one
No clear direction - I want it
No clear goals to achieve - we all like those
No sense of adventure - I want it
Dumbed down - I like to work my character out not have it done for me
Sometimes forced PvP - I don't want it

Collectibles with a purpose is good, but when collectibles become pointless it is a waste of time. Nice looking characters, and nice armour/clothing is good, let's face it, we all like making our dollies look nice :)

So for my money, the next developer that produces a game which starts to encompass these things and more, will likely do well and may even actually keep a long term player base.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wildstar haven't already built a free to play mechanism which they can just turn on when it is necessary. It would be very short sighted of them to think they won't need it. I don't know what the industry figure is for how long the typical player stays with a new game these days, but my guess would be under 6 months at best, probably more like 2-3 months.

I know that Guild Wars 1 was not your ideal cup of tea Hanno, but it did encompass most of the above, and it was an excellent game, that had a large player base for a long time.

'gasp' starts to hold breath for someone to make us what we want :)

You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Thu May 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Open Beta for 10 days!

Clicky

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon May 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Playing it a bit, its a nice setting, breathes atmosphere. Plays nice. game mechanics are worked out well.
No bugs encountered thus far, its open beta so you would take it for granted but seen plenty where it wasnt.
But all in all it is not gonna make me wanna buy this and play this on my own. Got plenty other single player games for that :)

Return to “MMO Gaming”