Battlefield 3

All discussions about Unreal Tournament series, Battle Field Series, Call of Duty series, and mods

Moderator: [FnG] Cooks

[FnG] Kahbouter

Battlefield 3

Postby [FnG] Kahbouter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I imagine everyone into Battlefield game series has seen this trailer, maybe even more than once... ;) You might even have seen the live demo at E3 where the tanks came into play. All in all, this game looks amazing, the new Frostbite engine with the character motion code loaned from the latest FIFA game. And you'll probably need an amazing computer to run it in all its glory.

More information can be found at http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3, but if you're a fan of the series you already knew that.

You might have pre-ordered already? This game is definitely high on my wishlist...

[FnG] Neecap

Re: Battlefield 3

Postby [FnG] Neecap » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Tried the alpha when it was doing the rounds. Being an alpha it was filled with bugs and crashed alot, however it looked good visually, and the sounds were top notch. However the gameplay was a bit rough around the edges, it felt like the Modern Warfare games because the weapons were too accurate and too lethal, making the rush gamemode a slaugher house for the attacking teams.

However the BETA is due out this month for people who pre ordered, hopefully we can try our hands on a conquest map with a few vehicles to play with. :thumbup:

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 pm

I have just received mail about the open beta of Battlefield 3 :)

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

edit: Don't use (*&%(@!# sort of characters in your password, as the game can't handle them right now, they are working on it.

ImageImage

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 am

*downloading* for a look see

EDIT -
So manydifferent loaders and then agreements to tick I got RSI before I even managed to run the game.

Then I get 'failure to ping' no servers close to you .
:gripe:

EDIT2-

And dont use quick mode - installs new graphics drivers.

Wooo I havent had this much fun since DOS!
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Handos wrote:Wooo I havent had this much fun since DOS!

I kwew this trouble to get a game starting had a ring to it, but couldn't remember to what . . . suppressed memories of DoS = Disk Operating System = Denial of Service :bedrime:

I can't get the game running either, where Steam has made gaming a tad bit easier, EA manage to make it complex and yet not working, for an open beta a bit disapointing. :skull:
I hope the game makes it all up for this hassle. :sniper2:

edit: Seems the drivers need to be the latest version (thnx Kahbouter for the hint), to be able to play the game. It's working now. :D

ImageImage

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Well I get the driver warning but it works afterward.

The game itself once running is pretty smooth for me. Pretty to look at.
Game play Im not sure about, its hard when theres only one map/game play type in the beta.
I tend to die a lot, Death/kill ratio is really bad.
I did have one really good game when I managed to 'hide' behind the enemy lines then followed
them and knifed 5 people in a row. :skull:

Again if people did want to play this we would have the old server problem.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi all

Glad to see some FnGers interested in BF 3. I was thinking of getting this and Modern Warfare 3 but MW 3 basically looks the same as MW 2. Even one of the bigger gaming websites said MW 3's multiplayer is more or less the same as MW 2 (does that mean still no dedicated servers??)

Anyway, I've been playing the BF 3 beta since its release and Im finding it fun to play. There are good points and bad points, as with any game. With this being a beta, bugs are to be expected though I haven't come across too many.

The sound is very immersive. Whether its the meaty gunfire, the sound of bullets whizzing past you or the deep explosion of a grenade nearby, it all sounds good. One of the main issues I (and people in general) had with previous BF games are snipers. Obviously a game with such vast open space is going to encourage people to do sniping but from experience, sniper hits tend to do less damage than in BF 2, and also when a sniper is aiming, you can see a light coming from their gun which makes it obvious as to where they are.

My biggest worry about the game is the battlelog menu system.

"Battlelog IS the PC main menu. You go straight from Battlelog to playing. No splash screens, no menus. Just straight to the playing. "

I hope that when the full game is out, the menu's are actually integrated into battlelog because it seems odd having to enter a game, then stand idle in the middle of a warzone while pressing esc to try and configure controls and graphical settings etc.

All in all I am looking forward to this. I only hope its good and that FnGers will be playing it.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:20 pm

[FnG] Lazz wrote:I hope that when the full game is out, the menu's are actually integrated into battlelog because it seems odd having to enter a game, then stand idle in the middle of a warzone while pressing esc to try and configure controls and graphical settings etc.

All in all I am looking forward to this. I only hope its good and that FnGers will be playing it.
Wow, that's really bass-ackwards, I agree.
I definitely wouldn't like to be getting shot while tweaking my settings.
And I see Mr. Lambik's already got a head start on breaking it, so looks good. :tease:

--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Mr-Bad-at-Footy wrote:And I see Mr. Lambik's already got a head start on breaking it, so looks good. :happydance:

There's no server I can break, so I have to break the client instead :P
Same motto as we use at work "Hey it's finaly working(a bit), now lets break it" :star:

bout the game, it's quite tough to play actualy, it took me a lot of bullets (in my head) before I actually could discover who is friend and who is foe, :spruce:
the ones I can see are friends, the ones I only see very briefly, before the screen turns red-ish, are foes :stars:

and the controls are still ^#$%%^&-ish, as I am used to that evil CoD4.

and I am still figuring out a way how to break the news to Yas on a new pc config :lmao: (so not gonna happen ) :Beye:

ImageImage

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:29 am

:Merryxmas: :xmas:
[FnG] Lambik wrote:and I am still figuring out a way how to break the news to Yas on a new pc config :lmao: (so not gonna happen ) :Beye:

Thats an easy one lambik its Christmas soon the whole season is about new gaming rigs :thumbup: :xmas: :xmassnow: :Merryxmas:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:51 pm

[FnG] Lambik wrote:
Mr-Bad-at-Footy wrote:
I see what you did there. Why, I oughta… :2guns:

[FnG] Lambik wrote:and I am still figuring out a way how to break the news to Yas on a new pc config :lmao: (so not gonna happen ) :Beye:
So, are you saying you like this game enough that you want a new rig to play it on?
Also, does it really require a new rig to run well?

--kril out-- :ninja:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Thats why its good to try a beta or demo to see if it works:-)

Its fine on my 18month old (£600 very middle of the road PC )

Saying that Im not convinced about the game - its nice enough but Im not convinced even if
we forked out for an FnG server we would get enough people in the clan playing it to make it worth while.
and my experience with the public servers are very negative....
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Beta is now over :-(

Not sure about this - if enough other people I knew were buying it I would get it but probably not otherwise.

See my thread in COD4
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Like you Hanno, if there's enough interest from our lovely friends here at FnG I would buy myself a copy as a possible replacement to CoD4.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:09 pm

One thing is about BF3- at least the two maps so far need far more players than we can get playing.

On the upside maybe if we change games and get a good server going we might find some more new people
to join FnG and revitalise it a bit.
Hanno's Law:

Return to “First-Person Shooters”