Titanfall.......believe the hype?

All discussions about Unreal Tournament series, Battle Field Series, Call of Duty series, and mods

Moderator: [FnG] Cooks

[FnG] Lazz

Titanfall.......believe the hype?

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:42 am

Hi al,

A few days ago I was introduced to a game called Titanfall. While not out yet (soon to be in beta stage) it DOES look interesting and has had, from people who have played it, some very positive feedback. The uniqueness in the Titans themselves are interesting but I'm also quite happy to see double dodge jumping; adding a strong element of parkour to the game.

I've signed up for the beta anyway.

You should also check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caiIamHIzBY (official trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHCI2Xb_ikg#t=245 (the basics)

Just watching the trailer, it seems to be UT2003/4 (parkour), mixed with a futuristic Call of Duty, with mechs. That sounds like a good recipe :)

[FnG] Hanno

Re: Titanfall.......believe the hype?

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:34 pm

I've been watching it, but at the moment I am FPS'd out what with BF4.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm

I have been checking it quite a bit Lazz but my major point is Origin. I'm not comfy with using it, so that is holding me back.
Others say it is not a bad game but not great either. It is open Beta so let me know how it is if you tried it.
And well, is Origin still "evil"?
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Seems pretty cool so far. Though I am quite hyped up cause I've just come out of a successful game.

The good:

Gameplay is generally good fun
Wall jumping is back!
Kind of like a futuristic call of duty
Titans are cool. Everyone can get one. Its fun to jump into one and shoot / fire rockets at enemies and even punch them to kill them. Also, can use them as AI controlled bodyguards.
Tutorial is good and helps you get the basics
Some good ideas

The bad:

Origin isn't everyone's cup of tea
Graphics aren't great. This is basically an unimportant point, for the most part, but the fact that this game seems to have last gen graphics is a bit sucky

My main annoyance:
Needs to be more individuality to each character type and titan. I.E: You get (at least in the beta) 3 character choices. Each one of them is more or less identical apart from the main weapon. For instance, it would be nicer if the infiltrator character was the only one that could go invisible. Instead, all of them can go invisible. Obviously this is only a beta and a lot could be changed / added. Its the same with the Titans. I want to make my Titan my own, but its a bit hard to when you have 3 choices of Titan type but the differences between them are so little. Like one might have a special ability to make you automatically eject when you are about to be destroyed, while another (the 'nuclear' titan), explodes when its destroyed.

One Titan type has a railgun, the other has rockets. Need a bit more variety than that. All titans have a panic weapon thing of firing multiple rockets when the main weapon is reloading. All titans also have a vortex shield that absorbs all bullets and rockets, then return fires them once the shield is depleted. This is all well and good, but I think it would be more interesting if one type had the shield and another type had the rockets, rather than giving them everything and making the differences negligible (from my experience).

I've just come out of having a fun match actually. I did really well. Was getting chased by someone and ran around the corner, used my cloak, waited a few seconds.........no-one came, so I went back around the corner and saw 3 enemies in the room, and while still cloaked, I shotgunned-to-the-face all 3 of them.

Got a notification that my Titan was ready to drop, so I found a spot where it could be deployed. Got into it and started shooting up the enemies. Managed to destroy an enemy Titan. Got a notification that an enemy had climbed on to my titan and started shooting the wiring. So I ejected, which automatically put my Titan into AI/bodyguard mode, shot the guy off my titan, then another enemy titan came, stated shooting at my titan and as much as my titan was fighting back, it was getting destroyed. Felt sorry for it. So I climbed into it and backed away with the shield. Unfortunately I got shot at from behind and my titan blew up, ejecting me into the air.

When I landed, I landed on an enemy titan and shot the wiring to destroy it, which was cool. On the standard team deathmatch mode, at the end of f the match, the losing team has to run to a designated evacuation point where a ship comes after x amount of time to take you away. Can be quite fun, cause if you lose, there's quite the rush of trying to get to that ship and holding out without being killed. Often its on top of buildings, making it slightly tricky to get too. When your on the winning team, you have the rush of knowing where everyone is heading too and trying to kill them before they get there.

I am a little surprised that the game's release date is only a few weeks away. I hope they get plenty of chances between now and then to fix bugs. That being said, I've played it for a while now and have yet to experience any errors.

So far, so good.

*edit*

Wowzorz. So perhaps I was a little hasty in writing my previous opinion with customization because it seems it can be done, and will have much more than what is present in the beta.

However this is not the reason for the edit. The reason is because I was playing with a weapon in the game which is more or less a legal aimbot. Remember those? There is a weapon you can get, a pistol, which I think is called a smart pistol, and if you point it in the general direction of the enemy for half a second, providing they are in decent range, it will light a red circle around their head, and all you have to do is press fire and you'll automatically get a headshot.

At one point, I was walking around and a drop pod came down and 5 enemies walked out. My gun, once again aimed in the general direction of them, lit up 5 red circles around their heads. I pressed fire and within half a second, got 5 headshots, essentially killing most of the enemy team in one go. Felt like cheating, but the truth is that after the first match, I was 2nd out of 12 people, and in the second match, I had an average kill count, even though I felt like I was almost breaking the system. We'll see if it changes for the release.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:30 pm

Glad I didnt install Origin:
Once again they make news with tracking your program activity...

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/co ... ing_files/
http://i.imgur.com/itkV0Q2.png
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 am

It doesn't surprise me but doesn't bother me either.

its no different from steam.
And just because you are tracked for marketing purposes doesn't mean you have to buy any more games
you can just ignore any marketing hype

And don't the idiots on rededit realise you are tracked for marketing information when you use a creditcard at the supermarket
Its impossible to escape this in the modern world, and there's far worse things to worry about?

To tell the truth its the other end of the equation that worries me more, people insisting on their 'freedom' and online privacy;
Making lots of fun encryption programs and software to evade tracking which can then be used by criminals.
I consider the internet to be a public space just like if I'm on the high street and don't care if people over hear me
insulting Eve etc. There's a long history of private mail being intercepted so email is no different.
As long as there aren't cameras/microphones in my house or my bedroom (DISABLE THAT WEBCAM + MIKE on the laptop)
I think surveillance in public places can only reduce crime.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:09 pm

The thing that disturbs me is that they do not ask.
To use a metaphore, I dont mind people parking their car in front of my house/ driveway, if they ask me if they can. Else i can get rather upset.
Also I'm it is sad policing is necessary, but there is a right balance to how much policing you do. At least that is how i feel about it :)

Return to “First-Person Shooters”