Could it be - a new UT in the works?

All discussions about Unreal Tournament series, Battle Field Series, Call of Duty series, and mods

Moderator: [FnG] Cooks

[FnG] Bawsy

Could it be - a new UT in the works?

Postby [FnG] Bawsy » Tue May 06, 2014 2:10 pm

Apparently, some kind of announcement will be made regarding the future of Unreal Tournament on May 8th.
Ooooh, this is exciting!

http://playforgg.wordpress.com/2014/05/03/the-future-of-unreal-tournament/

[FnG] Hanno

Re: Could it be - a new UT in the works?

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue May 06, 2014 4:24 pm

I saw this upcoming announcement the other day and thought 'meh'

I liked UT3 but nobody else appeared to.
I think they killed their fan base with it.

Saying that, I would love it if they managed to make a decent fast paced UT4
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue May 06, 2014 7:42 pm

interesting, good to know :)
I was quite happy with UT3, especially with their vehicles, great job there. Though i actually wasnt all too happy with how the music was handled, yes i like ingame music :p.

Anyway i hope that if its a new game that it will turn out nicely, ill be keeping an eye on it for sure.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 pm

It would be good if it comes to a new UT but does it fit in "todays" gaming. The problem we've got is most players want a reward for playing and we've been spoiled with CoD/BF with there ranks/perks/unlocks. Would UT be able to pull back the fans and numbers to make it worth while.

[FnG] Ro3L

Postby [FnG] Ro3L » Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 am

I just hope they make a different version for PC and Console.

Can't say i really liked UT3, the low poly ictf maps were allright though.

I would return if they cut all that unlock/perks crap and just make a tournament esque game. Didnt really like the storytellingstyle campaign.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Thu May 08, 2014 2:36 am

I just noticed this too. GAWD, I hope this turns out well. After UT3's reception though, I'm afraid of getting my hopes up. Epic does make their money off the game engine now, so perhaps any UT game they put out now will be more of a tech demo.

Nevertheless, my fingers are crossed.

Here's a link to beyond unreal's news post: http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=13688

(Not much there there, but the forum thread on their site is amusing.)

[FnG] Ro3L

Postby [FnG] Ro3L » Thu May 08, 2014 8:25 pm

[FnG] spim

Postby [FnG] spim » Fri May 09, 2014 5:35 am

Wow!

hmm ... Design by Committee

that always turns out well, right?
Hey, Hawking! ... I got your "Dark Matter" right here, pal!

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri May 09, 2014 6:17 am

Wow, fascinating choice by Epic. I'll stay tuned and try to contribute.

I'm curious to see how this goes. I'm initially optimistic, but Spim points out a VERY hard truth — design by committee is usually a friggin' mess.

My hope is they can filter/ignore enough "committee noise" to do something cool.

If I was Vulcan, my ears would be standing at attention. Or something,
--kril out-- :partyhat:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri May 09, 2014 10:16 am

Dear someone already say big advert for The Unreal Engine?
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Bawsy

Postby [FnG] Bawsy » Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Don't know whether happy or sad.

A bit of me really wanted a proper retail release, but that was never gonna happen I guess. With team size & budgets being so high, the only games that make serious money these days are AAA titles that are guaranteed to sell squillions.

Still, I'm happy that we're getting a new UT. It will be free (although what content will exist for its 'free' state will remain to be seen). And it should be good, very good.

Sad. PC only, and my 7 year dinosaur more than likely won't run it. And I'm not sure I can justify upgrading for one game.

Can't wait to see what comes of this though! :)

[FnG] spim

Postby [FnG] spim » Fri May 09, 2014 7:04 pm

For those unfamiliar, "Design by Committee" always (but only *every* single time, without fail) being a mistake, a simple example:

Some Design Committee Member(s): "The hero's armor must be all RED, to show boldness, heroics and bravery in the face of overwhelming odds!"

Other Design Committee Member(s): "No, the hero's armor must be BLUE, to show purity, resoluteness, and being the calm in the eye of the storm!"

So, after the decision is tabled till such time as the Sub-Committee on Armor Hues, Nuance and Connotation makes its final (revised) recommendation several months late, the full Design Committee will agree to compromise (i.e. "both lose"), and the game's hero armor will be PURPLE, which will be evocative of "My Little Pony".
Hey, Hawking! ... I got your "Dark Matter" right here, pal!

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat May 10, 2014 9:33 am

[FnG] spim wrote:For those unfamiliar, "Design by Committee" always (but only *every* single time, without fail) being a mistake, a simple example:

Some Design Committee Member(s): "The hero's armor must be all RED, to show boldness, heroics and bravery in the face of overwhelming odds!"

Other Design Committee Member(s): "No, the hero's armor must be BLUE, to show purity, resoluteness, and being the calm in the eye of the storm!"

So, after the decision is tabled till such time as the Sub-Committee on Armor Hues, Nuance and Connotation makes its final (revised) recommendation several months late, the full Design Committee will agree to compromise (i.e. "both lose"), and the game's hero armor will be PURPLE, which will be evocative of "My Little Pony".

Hell that sounds great - if we get my little pony armour in UT I'm all for design by committee.
Or did I misread the post?
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Beopuppy

Postby [FnG] Beopuppy » Sat May 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Go back to the old skool, UT99 still the best one, the sheer number or mods and fan made maps made that game amazing. Plus those of you here from the old days remember Tactical Ops and lets face it, that too was awesome :D

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm less worried about design-by-committee (since I assume the game would be ultra-configurable) than I am with the business model. Since it costs $20/month for a subscription to the new unreal editor, and Epic will have a marketplace for them to release stuff at whatever price they set (and Epic financing the game by taking a cut from those sales, along with sales of the editor), there's going to be a strong drive to monetize every little transaction, I fear. Depending on whether they require maps and such to be purchased on the server and then served out to players while they play it, or require each player to purchase each map or mod or whatever, THAT could be the part that makes the whole thing fall down go boom.

Epic stresses that the game is FREE, not FREE TO PLAY. Yet I still fear the player will be microtransactioned to death.

On the other hand, maybe it will be possible to put up a nice server customized the way we want with minimal expense to us as individuals. That would be nice. Will watch with cautious optimism ...

Return to “First-Person Shooters”