CoD:AW

All discussions about Unreal Tournament series, Battle Field Series, Call of Duty series, and mods

Moderator: [FnG] Cooks

[FnG] Unholy Eve

CoD:AW

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:51 pm

Shall we make this a thing?

Video for your viewing pleasure;

http://youtu.be/06xIb1Q_nD8?list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

[FnG] Hanno

Re: CoD:AW

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Watched that video and I'm not entirely sold on it.
It looks like the same run and gun that COD black ops was , but faster.

I don't see the same opportunity for teamwork in it and oddly when playing BF4
that's the bit I enjoy, eg last night when we were holding that island as a team
was good. When your all running around separately being slaughtered its more 'meh' to me.

Saying that, as Rampy and you already this COD, I will probably cave in if Lambik gets it.
Although Erin says its too expensive and to let the price drop (probably because that is what I
said about the Sims4 that she wanted! Which I was saving for an xmas present for her)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Bawsy

Postby [FnG] Bawsy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Playing it on the Xbox One.

It's super fast, with folk flying at you from all angles. It's not a team game, that's for sure. And good luck getting any sort of kill streak going.

Still, as a quick "I've got 30 minutes, what can I play?" game, it fills the hole. It's COD.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:42 am

[FnG] Bawsy wrote:Still, as a quick "I've got 30 minutes, what can I play?" game, it fills the hole. It's COD.

You get a whole 30 minutes to sit a play in one go?
You lucky lucky duck!
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:02 pm

I follow the herd.

I've told Erin to Blame Lambik.
Hanno's Law:

The_Carrot

Postby The_Carrot » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:30 am

[FnG] Hanno wrote:I follow the herd.

I've told Erin to Blame Lambik.

I'm not following the herd, not going to waste my money on a game I'll get bored of in a month or 2

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:19 pm

After playing an hour and a half on it, I can honestly say that first impressions are indeed positive. Hanno mentioned earlier that it isn't much of a team game with it's run-n-gun setup. Fair point, but I suppose it depends which mode setting you are playing in. As in many previous FPS games, TDM is basically deathmatch but with teams. Whereas something like domination is likely to require some teamwork.

To me, this is the biggest change in the series since Modern Warfare. It looks as if the people that built it knew that CoD was getting stale and needed changes, and boy have they changed things. No, it's not a few new maps and some extras, it's a whole different feel.

With the exo-suits allowing for dodge jumping (up, sideways and back), this is the closest I've been to playing an Unreal game for years. My current weapon of choice is the first shotgun you get (which isn't so much of a shotgun but more of a 'sonic boom in the general direction of the enemy'). It's great fun dodging around people and shooting them from above, or when you are both in the air.

There's also loads and loads of upgrades. The weapons (of course) have upgrades, the exo-suits do to. But perhaps most notably, the kill streak rewards have upgrades. Not just one or two either, but from the half a dozen or so that I have unlocked (including being able to control a giant lazer beam from space), they each seem to have 6 or more upgrades.

Grenades aren't thrown, they are shot out of some sort of pop up device that comes out of the player's arm. The exo-suit allows you move faster, or have a shield that comes out of your arm, or go invisible etc. As I mentioned earlier, the shotgun I am using uses a shock wave type thing to kill enemies. There's also a lazer gun available as well.

The game rewards you like crazy. After an hour and a half of playing games where my death streak is typically twice that of my kill streak, I am already level 10. Each time you get a kill, you get numerous points for it.

So far it seems pretty good. Hopefully it will continue to be as enjoyable as it has been, but it does seem to me that this game is somewhat of a combination of Call of Duty + Titanfall + Unreal.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:38 pm

The_Carrot wrote:I'm not following the herd, not going to waste my money on a game I'll get bored of in a month or 2

I know what you mean but borderlands prequel only lasted me two weekends (Not finished but sort of lasered out)
Shadow of Mordor, which I think is a good game lasted me two and half weekends, finished the story and all the item collects but not some of the weapon quests,
its good but there's only so many orcs you can kill....

So if COD lasts two months I would get more value out of it - saying that I still suspect BF4 to be the better wider game (vehicles!)
but anything new is good. I got it for £29.99 from Simplykeys > saying that the download is still going after 24hours :-(
Can I swap some cows for a faster broadband connection please?

And Lazz thanks for the write up, hopefully see you ingame :-)
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:44 pm

So far i've only done a litle bit on single player..still learning the game..so far it's nice though :mrgreen:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:40 am

Played up to rank 25 yesterday on multiplayer.
Fun in a brainless way, but its a lot of spawn/die/spawn die because the maps are so small.
I'd prefer some game variants with less players as maps just feel a bit too crowded.
Spawn/die also means it hard to do any team work at all.

I did play a couple of FIA which do have less players and that's definite a bit more sneaky
(using exo boosts lights you up on radar btw) which was fun.
I even got a couple of knife kills and came top in game.
Hanno's Law:

Cuvs

Postby Cuvs » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Not sure whether to get it for the Xbone or the PC. PC is playing up at the mo, somehow I've cooked the AC adapter, just randomly decides to switch to battery... which turns the GPUs off and throttles the CPU to nothing... not helpful... and of course... new adapter is expensive... a month before xmas.... nice... :(

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Cuvs wrote:Not sure whether to get it for the Xbone or the PC. PC is playing up at the mo, somehow I've cooked the AC adapter, just randomly decides to switch to battery... which turns the GPUs off and throttles the CPU to nothing... not helpful... and of course... new adapter is expensive... a month before xmas.... nice... :(

nooooo xbone one nooooo - you cannae do it captain - traitor to the PC class.

You know Everything is better if you use a keyboard and mouse!
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am

Cuvs wrote:Not sure whether to get it for the Xbone or the PC. PC is playing up at the mo, somehow I've cooked the AC adapter, just randomly decides to switch to battery... which turns the GPUs off and throttles the CPU to nothing... not helpful... and of course... new adapter is expensive... a month before xmas.... nice... :(

Console Scrub! Don't break my heart with such words.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:39 am

I had a few good games over the weekend. Mainly playing a -stabby-people-in-the-back build.

No main gun
Pistol with Tactical Knife attachment
EXO -speed boost (good for following catching up people)
Perks:
Lightweight
Low profile
Blind eye
Toughness
Blast Suppress
Using the threat detect grenade, but might drop it for xbow when I get to lvl 48

Anyway I was coming mostly 1st or 2nd in team dm with 90% knife kills.
Got up to a 6 streak using just knife which I was pleased with.

BUT this build does not work well for the objective type games - as you tend to get hammered
if your capturing stuff.

Game is pretty fun, but so much more faster paced than BF4 - I need a lie down every half hour to recover.
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 am

Knife build for the win - 15 knife kill streak last night - it probably will never happen so I have to write it here.
Hanno's Law:

Return to “First-Person Shooters”