Sometimes you gotta do what needs to be done ;)

Discussion related to Clan issues and activities.
[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Re: Sometimes you gotta do what needs to be done ;)

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:47 pm

As some of you may know ;) spending all that time in France in the bush got me thinking about bushcraft en survival. Having a lil accident there poses a tiny bit more of a challenge than over here :rolleyes: .. so i decided i needed some mad Ray Mears skillz (Bear Grylls is fake :P)

So i've been doing some bushcrafting, picking some stuff up from youtube and trying it out in the garden (my neighbors like me so much :P ) and the "Kooiberg" etc etc. This weekend i took it up a few notches though and went on a bushcraft/survival course which was great fun, a great experience and in some cases a bit of an eye opener. With a small group and two instructors we spent the weekend (friday evening till sunday afternoon) in the woods with minimal means (knife or two, firesteel, a "sleep system" which was a hammock, tarp and sleeping bag for me) a pot, mestin or billycan, and a spoon/fork..or spork.ow yeah and one set of spare clothing in case of emergency

Dinner on saturday was "provided", lunch and breakfast you had to provide yourself (so i took dried sausages, noodles in a pack, and some biscuits with a shalve life of like 10 years, and coffee of course).

The instructors kept us quite busy naturaly with all kinds of challenges, not the least proving you can make a fire with alternative means before being alowed to use the main fire for cooking ( in my case firesteel + birch bark and firesteel + feathersticks)..funny to see a few guys fail on that when they suddenly where under pressure of actually having to make a fire with for instance birch right now, where as the evening before they had no probs whatsoever. As one of the instructors said, because they have to do it NOW, they stop thinking and make mistakes (principle of survival = STOP ..Stop, Think, Observe, Plan)

Sunday afternoon we got instruction of making a friction fire, though all, including me, but one failed miserably on that

All in all we covered:
  • Knife/axe skills and Safety
  • Fire...lots and lots of fire
  • woodcarving various bits
  • making a fishhook (part woodcarving)
  • cooking without a pot (part woodcarving ..see where this is going)
  • building a shelter from natural materials (more woodcarving :P)
  • making thread (not exactly woodcarving but i did use my knife for it)
  • Tools like digging stick, something to strip the outer layer of roots etc (yes woodcarving :P)

by this time various students were seriously complaining about "woodcarving"

- a figure 4 trap (more woodcarving :chin: )
- friction fire ( all together now...woodcarving!! :cheerleader: )

and tons of other litle instructions tips and experiences...At no point in time any task was really exhausting, but all day you are always on the go, preparing someting, learning something, something you know the intructors will make you use that morning/afternoon/evening or the day after. Needless to say when I got home last night it was lights out! (and even this morning my mind was anywhere but at work :slaphead: )

The knife I had custom made for myself not to long ago proved an absolute treasure and worth every penny I spent on it (One of the instructors was also the guy that designed it, so i was bound to be a great bushcraft knife..and no he did'nt cut me any slack cus i bought the knife from him :gripe: )

Next november they have an Xtreme course, not sure if i'll do that one, since crossing a small canal mid november without a boat seems less of a good idea right now (not to mention even less gear aka no hammock, tarps tents etc etc), however if i ever want to sucessfully complete WEIS it is a course i will have to take, to prepare for it.

I didnt think about pictures much but i did make some..so here they are.

Ready to go in

My place to sleep

Breakfast

Safety instructions

Creating your own saw

Shelter 1

Shelter 2

Cooking without a pan

Figure 4 deadfall trap

A fishhook ( we are all men here so yes a big hook cus we only catch huggeeee fish..i actually never caught a fish in my life :rolleyes: )

Making fire..and more fire and did I mention fire?

Cheers
Rampy
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am

* Sorry these pictures have been removed as a camera is not approved survival gear*

Looks like great fun - I would really like to go on this sort of course as soon as I can find one with:
a) Inside toilet
b) inside shower
c) 4 poster bed with mosquito net
d) central heating
e) 5mins walk to the 7-11

Seriously though I was impressed with the way the instructors hunted those chickens down-
from the frozen isle of the supermarket!
Really you should only be able to eat what you hunt/catch/find to do it properly-
a survival course of this kind can also be combined with a radical weight loss plan!

From my childhood, I still have the skills to shoot and trap birds/rabbits/deer/foxes/squirrels.
Pluck/gut/skin aforementioned - although I don't recommend eating the foxes and squirrels,
and gutting a deer is very unpleasant. And don't try wringing a pigeons neck as their heads
tend to come off which is also an unpleasant feelings (probably more so for the pigeon than me).
I never did much fishing though, and think I only ever caught 1 fish.

But I do know how to cook hedgehogs. But I prefer to buy my meat at the supermarket as well.....
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Tonight I had my first attempt at making a friction fire. Managed to get an ember but sadly no flame..ah well its a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30VsbOPk ... e=youtu.be

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm

I think that wearing good shoes instead of slippers would perhaps improve your odds, as you don't have to worry stubbing your big toe... ;) :D
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 am

You have to take chances sometimes ;)

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 pm

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:I think that wearing good shoes instead of slippers would perhaps improve your odds, as you don't have to worry stubbing your big toe... ;) :D

I think that accident boat already sailed, he's only got 4 toes?
And surely this should be in the creativity folder :-) "Madbunny Creates Fire"
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am

I guess it's been kinda quiet on the "whats Rampy upto now front" .well its not ive not been busy, it's i've been to busy.

The old 850 has been out for a major overhaul and should be back around next week

at the beginning of november we had a buscraft weekend, which was great fun with lots of workshops including a night orienntation and
P1000347.JPG

navigation course..and lots of sitting around a campfire
Before that had the second hand goods fair
P1000315.JPG

where i picked up a new knife
P1000321.JPG

and we invented boozecraft international
P1000317.JPG

Shortly after was the fungi walk
P1000323.JPG

And then there is new goodies to :) ( poncholiner, aluminum cup and headlight)
P1000360.JPG

Of course lets not forget the knives and tools weekend
P1000355.JPG

Last but not least there is always kit maintenance:
So i hosed down my drizabone wax coat just now (still totally dry on the inside!)..and yes it was dirty
P1000361.JPG

P1000363.JPG

My next trip into the Argonne, sadly wont be till march 2013 and for the WEISS Course ..that's a Go if we can get enough peeps to join...so stay tuned.. ;)

Cheers Rampy

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Did you get to eat the wild mushrooms ?

ImageImage

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I didn't a few others did, it was very interesting though.

Apparently in the Benelux area are only 5 species that are deadly (as in get an upset stomach for like 2 days...feel fine after and die 2 weeks later from liver failure :shock: ) also there are a bunch of lookalikes, the rest is either inedible because they taste horrible or are perfectly edible. It's not something i plan to try though, mushrooms actually have very little value as survival food (not much calories, starch or proteins) and are primarily used to add taste or bulk out a meal.

I do want to learn more about edible wild plants though.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:01 pm

[FnG] RampantBunny wrote:
Apparently in the Benelux area are only 5 species that are deadly (as in get an upset stomach for like 2 days...feel fine after and die 2 weeks later from liver failure :shock: ) also there are a bunch of lookalikes, the rest is either inedible because they taste horrible or are perfectly edible. It's not something i plan to try though, mushrooms actually have very little value as survival food (not much calories, starch or proteins) and are primarily used to add taste or bulk out a meal.

My father was always gathering his own mushrooms when I was a child....
.... at least until the time he spent some time in hospital after poisoning himself.
Then again it wasnt as bad as the time he blew himself up with one of the those gas cannisters and spent 6 weeks in hospital
dressed as Tutankhamun. Taught me everything I know.... :crazy:
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Just got back from a camping weekend in the snow, quite a nice experience and luckily I was smart enough to listen to the advice of others so I managed to battle the cold quite good ;). The temperature only dropped to about -6C, but there was a fairly strong wind, which made it feel a lot colder. Setting up the hammock (and later packing it all up again) sure takes a lot longer when its cold like that :stars:

Heading down the path to our campsite
P1000381.JPG

My place for the night (half set up)
P1000377.JPG

Setting up camp
P1000396.JPG

Nice sunset
P1000386.JPG

Dinner is cooking (water is there to keep it drefrosted, as a test i left my bottle outside my hammock and yes it was about 70% frozen the next morning..as expected :rolleyes: )
P1000395.JPG

A very successfull trip to test my gear out, and I really do need to change some stuff, most importantly I need a sleeping bag that can cope with lower temperatures. My current bag goes to minus 5, but there is no doubt in my mind that if i hadnt had a 2nd bag around the 1st one it would have been uncomfortable during the night (hammocks provide a lot less insulation then even the smallest tents do, especially with a cold wind. The green thing underneath my hammock is what they call an underquilt, which i had built myself...not sure how much that did, even though all hardcore treehangers say you need one.

Around the fire, which was pretty big, since we had tons of wood available at the site it was +1, where we slept it was -6, but I was very snug and didnt get out till nearly 10 am...way to comfy :laugh: ..shoes the next morning...frozen solid ..oww and getting up at 5 am for a pitstop was not a fun thing :gripe:

On a side note: interesting to experience that allthough these were by no means extreme temperatures, simple tasks get tricky really quick, normally setting up the hammock is done in 15/20 minutes, now it took considerably longer..the simplest of knots are tricky with gloves on and when you do it without gloves your hands get real cold real quick, which forces you to take a break again.

Cheers
Rampy

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Looks fun Mr Rampy.

Okay I'm lying it doesnt look like fun at all it sounds far too cold.

So why the hammock rather than a tent when its that cold? Weight? or Sheer Bloodymindedness?

For the record we had about 1" of snow on Friday morning then it rained and washed it away- much to Erins disappointment!
Temperature has hovered about 3C all weekend no frost no ice but it has been dull and miserable.
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Looks fun Mr Rampy.

So why the hammock rather than a tent when its that cold? Weight? or Sheer Bloodymindedness?

I dont think in the end the weight advantage is going to be very big (if any), the packsize is smaller and yes Sheer Bloodymindedness plays a role to :crazy:

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 pm

Ugh, frozen shoes, THAT would ruin my day Rampy. I hope it didn't make you moody :P
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Nah just force yourself into em, walk around 5 minutes and all is good...they aren't leather but goretex...that helps :cheerleader:

Return to “Clan Discussion”