I miss the old days...

Discussion related to Clan issues and activities.
[FnG] Hanno

I miss the old days...

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat May 19, 2012 11:24 am

Battlefield 3 is dead ...

We've now dropped down to just a couple of us playing bf3 on a wednesday evening, so its not really worth starting up.

Got me thinking about how great older games were, and to tell the truth they weren't, good maybe, but perhaps not great.
The difference between a great game and a good game is who you play with.

I started playing online games with Ultima online. We had a small but adult (18+) community of about 30ish people called OLD (Old Lucid Dreamers),
and we would get about 10 -15 people turn up on typical guild nights. There were no quests, just monster killing and building/decorating houses.
We made our own quests, dungeon crawls, tournaments up, and it was fun. We had about 18 months - 2 years.

That guild moved on to SWG for a while but ultimately although flash the gameplay was bland, so I dont think the guild held together 6 months.

At that time I started playing Unreal T, and ended up on a server run by a bunch of FnG loons. Magnolia asked me to join and I did.
How many years of great nights did we have at UT? I don't know but eventually the number of people dropped down to just a few die hards.

Parallel to UT, I was playing WoW for about 2 years? with my old OLD clan again. Again we had lots of fun when we were running quests together,
having our own tournaments etc. But the heavy duty raids (who wants to play 4 -6 hours of a raid in one sitting, and that ignores the logistics
of getting enough people to turn up) split the guild a bit, then one member started seeing (Sleeping with?) another member who just happened to be
the wife of a third member and the guild imploded. WoW was probably dead and done for me by then but the guild and the camercadirie didnt
carry forward to another game.

I never really got into Guild Wars, one thing spoilt the game for me. Ledges... why the heck do I need to walk all over there , round that corner
and back again - I want to step down. So anyway I missed the hayday of FnG in guildwars.

I did play many other Online games though, I joined some guilds but I never felt comfortable with them, not really friends just people i played with.
As such I might of stuck out a game for 6 months, but when I got to the end levels, I got bored of and moved on.

UT nights had given way though SAS to COD4 with FnG and we played COD4 for 2 -3 years? until the numbers playing dropped below sustainability.
I think for a FPS you need 4 people playing for it to be fun on teamspeak, otherwise its just not.

We had a shot at BF3, which I still think was a pretty good game, had some good numbers playing for a few months then numbers dropped < 4. so BF3 is dead.

Recently Ive been playing Terraria with Erin. Which also was fun for a while, but then again a 7 year doesnt have the sense of humour to think
her daddy purposefully making her drop in lava is fun...

I know people are all looking forward to GW2 - but the dissing given to the BETA by Lily and Spinx make me think again.

Maybe I'm getting too old for this gaming lark....
on the other hand, its the people you play with rather than the game which makes it fun....
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Sphinx

Re: I miss the old days...

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Sat May 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Well sounds like you need a new game Hanno - we are playing Aion at the moment, and we are having fun with that. It wont be to everyones liking, but it is free to play and you get a massive amount of game for your zero pounds. In fact you get as much game as people who pay, the only difference is a few functions and cool downs that are reduced for instances. The main things you dont get are the ability to offer trade with someone, use the trade broker (auction house) except to pay the upgrade to full game access with ingame money (pretty cool) and slightly restricted chat functions - and that's it.

So if you fancy having a look, we are usually around - except from thursday onwards for about a week from next week, as we have visitors staying.

As far as Guild Wars 2 is concerned, I think we have been the only ones who were underwhelmed, so please don't judge it based on our view.
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Tigerlily

Postby [FnG] Tigerlily » Sat May 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh Hanno - now you've made me feel really, REALLY bad. :cry:

Seriously, don't take any notice of me and my moans about GW2 - it was just that it took SOOOO long to come out, and the anticipation was too much. For some reason I expected it to be just like the old GW, but with better graphics, new skills and a brand new baddie to kill at the end of the story.

Yasmin came out with a brilliant theory about it all, and personally, I think she's hit the nail on the head. Her idea is that for the first period of development, it happened as we all wanted it to, then some bright spark threw a spanner in the works, all the previous work was shelved and the developers set off in a new direction. This meant that even though we'd been waiting four or five years what we actually GOT was a rush job - it certainly looks that way to me.

Having said that, I think Spinksy and I were the only ones who didn't enjoy it, and of course, being born in Yorkshire (me) and having a touch of Scotland (Spinksy!), having paid for it, we will play it. :lmao:

So the bottom line is try it, don't be put off by the minority!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sat May 19, 2012 2:50 pm

BF3 for me at least certainly wasnt enjoyable enough to keep my attention :) but you should definitely try Aion...it has no ledges and for a free to play game you can do a helluva lot without spending a dime on it, and if you do wanna spend money.. 10 euros gets you 8 char slots, the tradebrokers and all chat cannels and some other small bits and pieces. (access to all quests you have for free anyway)

I liked GW2, though it was hugely confusing a lot of the times and some work still needs to be done, but don't forget it only beta's we have seen so far. I never expected a GW clone i guess that helped .

If you looking for something to do..get aion :P..
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat May 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Problem is, Im not sure I want a new game or not , with everything else going on at the moment not sure I can get too addicted.
The other factor is these days being old and what not I go to bed at 8pm , so I hardly see anyone anyway :-)
Plus I would be so far behind you lot level wise...

One of the reasons I started this line of thought was because I found an old song on my hd, actually for everquest but it summed up UO and WoW as well
for me, sort of a nostalga ride...

http://www.electricfunstuff.com/songdown/EFS_Has_Anybody_Here_Seen_My_Corpse_(original).mp3

Love the banjo spawning grounds....
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat May 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Can't help the not wanting a new game, or the 8 p.m. bedtime,
but Guild Wars 2 has a nifty level-scaling feature (already enabled
in the beta), which makes it easy and fun for high level toons
to play alongside low-level toons without steamrolling
the area (while being in a fair amount of danger).

This mechanism seemed to work well.

Fyi,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

P.S. imho, really far too soon to decide whether or not you like GW 2, as Rampy said.
Still very beta, will be changing a lot (for the better, hopefully).
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Silke

Postby [FnG] Silke » Sat May 19, 2012 11:05 pm

I cant say anything about GW2 i have not bought it yet.
I will buy it and play when i get a release date :-)
For now i stay with AION ,i have also like you tried a bunch off games.
Did not got that felling for any of them.
But yes i think the most of us miss the days of a full UT server.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Sun May 20, 2012 10:01 am

The GW2 beta I loved a few niggles with the game no tutorial for anything, red dots gone from the mini map and the "U" map is gone.
No just like most I'd recommend Aion.
F2P, PvPvE type of game play and although the free accounts are limited you can purchase the upgrade in-game (for about 10mil at the moment) but making that money is easier if you already have the upgrade to give you access to the trade-broker.
Level wise again don't worry, Lily and Sphinx have characters of all levels, Krall is minimum of 35, Rampys about 35-40 and I've got 1 character of 34 and the rest are all below level 15. So playing catch up is not an issue.
Having the experience of other games will mean you'll fit right into this one if you decide to pick it up.

[FnG] DressyVirus

Postby [FnG] DressyVirus » Sun May 20, 2012 1:23 pm

ha you cant even spell my name right, Kraal (krall is critters you have been killing)

Some basic info:

It is PvPvE, you dont have to do the pvp side but with rifting running you can and will get jumped, but every other week there is a home defence buff so makes it safer for you. (Dont have to worry about that until 20 though) Endgame is majority PvP.
Max lvl is 55 it will be 60 when 3.0 releases gonna be awhile for that through Gameforge.
Goldpacks will enable you to get 8 char slots, use of broker and all chat functions, these last for 30 days but stack.
Once the 30 days is over you still have all the character slots.
Level wise it doesnt really matter as the higher levels can come and mentor you, which is fun but can be annoying when they destroy everything in the area with a few swings/spells etc.

there are 2 version of aion, we are on the eu version ran by Gameforge, or there is the NA version still ran by NCsoft and they are currently version 3.0

This is the EU version site:
http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/
http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/features/ (this shows what the differences in type are.)

If any of you decide to play there is 2 factions, we have Elyos on Perento Server and Asmodians on Spatalos Server.
You will find us on Perento most of the time.

Edit 1: You dont have to spend alot of time playing the quest are generally go here, go there kill this X amount of times so you can be half way through a quest and need to go and you just pick up form where you left off. Although grouping is fun you can do pretty much all of it by yourself apart form group quests (it really does mean you need a group) and most Instances.

Edit 2: http://na.aiononline.com/home as it has been ran longer by NCSoft the information about the actual game is alot better here.
On topic though GW2 didnt impress me that much, i will play it but doubt it will become main game. Cant say I miss the old days be that games that where played or people that they were played with. It is nice to play with the same ppl and i still do the friendships that are made will always be what made playing some of the games worthwhile but sometimes you have to realise it will never be the same again, once it is accepted then you can adjust, move forward and emjoy everything to its fullest.
"Today's gamers are some of the most whiny, self-centered, narcissistic bunch of crybabies I've ever seen, honestly." Lyria DDO Forumns

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 am

Well if nothing else, Erin has been entertained by the teamspeak antics (as well as learning lots of new interesting words :stars: )

She thinks its far better than tv, maybe its an grundge soap opera, or a new version of South Park.
But instead of "They've killed Kenny" its "They've killed Lily" again....
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Tigerlily

Postby [FnG] Tigerlily » Tue May 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Oh dear ..... ooooops :oops: - and I bet all the 'new and interesting' words were mine! I forget that Erin can hear me squawking away at the world in general and asmoes in particular. Note to self: Must be more careful in future. If necessary, MUTE MIKE!

Just a word to the wise, Hanno, keep a careful watch on Erin re the chat. There are some decidedly unpleasant people about, and things can get rather heated sometimes. I think Aion is worse than anything I've seen before - probably due to the large number of pvpers - I know it was the same in Guild Wars in the pvp zones, but as we didn't go in for pvp, it wasn't quite as visible.

... and of course, if anyone kills Lily - well, all hell breaks loose! :gripe:
Jack of all trades, master of none.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed May 23, 2012 8:49 am

I disabled most of the chat channels on her account, plus have the profanity filter on
so that should be okay, plus i doubt she will be playing with out me there anyway.
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Fri May 25, 2012 9:59 pm

[FnG] Tigerlily wrote:Oh dear ..... ...
... and of course, if anyone kills Lily - well, all hell breaks loose! :gripe:

Which brings down a bunch of FnG'ers to the general area to wreak havok, revenge and genaral mahem..which in 50% of cases actually catches said culprit ..or at least scares him...kinda..off :spruce:

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 am

Actually if the last few days are anything to go by I'd say we've up'd it to bout 55% of the time now :P

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sat May 26, 2012 12:30 pm

[FnG] Unholy Eve wrote:Actually if the last few days are anything to go by I'd say we've up'd it to bout 55% of the time now :P

Carefull now..we dont want people to think we are actually cooperating and even worse being succesfull in it :P

Return to “Clan Discussion”