OpSony

Discussion related to Console Gaming
[FnG] Unholy Eve

OpSony

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:23 pm

So apparently Sony has been attacked by the online group Anonymous after they have sought legal action against internet users GeoHot and Graf_Chokolo, who "hacked" the PS3 and shared this information online.

Now I know that piracy is wrong and am wholey against it, I'm wondering what your views are on this matter. Has it affected you in any way so far? How has the PSN (PlayStation Network) been running for the past few weeks?

I've been out the loop for a while with this since my PS3 hasn't been used since the end of March but I didn't expect this sort of action to be taken by any online group.

First update from Anonymous

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/115/1159426p1.html

and

http://www.anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=787

The 2nd update from Anonymous.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163299p1.html

and

http://www.anonnews.org/?p=press&a=item&i=797

[FnG] Sphinx

Re: OpSony

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Not sure if I actually know what the issue these peeps have with Sony is, but hacking the PSN is pretty impressive ... who knows, perhaps something good will come out of this.
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:11 pm

After the 2 guys mentioned managed to "hack" the PS3, basicly re-enabling the features that the PS3 came with ie. installing linux ect and sharing this informtion on the internet. Sony went and got a court order allowing them to know all the information about who accessed the website in question which I have been lead to believe is a breach of certain human rights and various laws.

So because of this action "Anonymous" has come forth and started its attacks on Sonys virtual networks for reasons of invasion of privacy and forcing its customers to accept a locked-down version of thier hardware, just like your 3rd party controller Sphinx — it should work fine, but because of sonys actions they have prevented this, forcing customers like yourself to buy official sony products.

Sony is currently saying that all our credit card information could have been leaked because of Anonymous's actions. This may or may not be true as Anonymous have stated that they only wish to cause issues for Sony, not us gamers, and once they found out that their actions were having a negative impact for the users they stopped (or at least that's whats been said so far).

With all this the PSN network is still down for "maintenance" and from what I read in various locations it has been for most of April.

Who knows what's going to happen next?

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm

On the news here today was the message that milions of accounts have been compromised and privacy sensitive info like name, adres, billing adres phonenumbers etc etc has indeed been leaked.

Thats not just an ingame name/password stolen problem ... this is the type information that identifies real live individuals uniquely and therefore it's a serious leak. whether or not creditcard information has been leaked sony will not say, but they say "they cannot determine if this was the case" :chin: . Whenever CEO's start to use that kind of language, i as a consumer start to worry a bit.

PS: I dont own a PS3 so im not to worried about it but I am aware info like that is around with steam, DDO, GW etc etc. It's convenient you dont have to dig up your creditcard everytime you want to do a repeat purchase in some game, but i do wonder wheter its wise for companies to store that kind of information.

(as an example, the company I work for does not store any kind of credicard information whatsoever even though we do lots of online sales, and the above, coupled with various other EU privacy rules, is exactly the reason we dont.)

Cheers
Rampy
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:38 pm

It was breifly on the news yeaterday here and on all the news a bit more in depth today.
3 Million UK users out of 70 million world wide.
As one of the consumers who stored their information on the PS3 I'm checking my account everyday just to make sure nothing funny happens to it.

[FnG] Ro3L

Postby [FnG] Ro3L » Wed May 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I own a ps3 and i got a PSN account, I do not have any creditcard info on my account, so I do not worry too much, I do notice to get more spam on my e-mail but that probably just a new msn virus, that lesser humans tend to get caught by :)

Return to “Console Gaming”