Planetside 2

The place to talk about any other games that the clan doesn't currently play or just the place to talk about other games in general.
[FnG] N!MRoD

Planetside 2

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 pm

Anyone that has had their hands on the new planetside ?
Thoughts and anyone else that show interest in the game?
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Re: Planetside 2

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:10 am

MMO FPS definatly is interesting, haven't had any hands on time tough, is it any good?

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:03 am

I applied for the beta, but no luck thus far. If I get lucky then I'll scream :P
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:04 am

Worth noting that not only is this game getting good reviews, but its also free!!

Tutorials:

http://www.planetside2.com/game-tutorials

So you can choose one of 3 races, which have their own gear which makes them unique. You can do all sorts of upgrades and tweaks to weapons, and to top that off, you can choose from a variety of classes. Again, sounds very good for a game that is free.

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:35 pm

I've been playing this a bit, some good fun with some large scale battles. Been playing Infiltrator (cloaking sniper!) and the light assault mainly.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

So I think i got a good idea now of the game after playing for some time.
For those that do not know, it is a MMO FPS, class based and with vehicle combat.
The game itself is quite solid, I have encounter few bugs. Like the occassional client crash. But tbh, even my UT2K4 seems to do that still. There is 1 or 2 minor bugs that can be annoying, like dropping through a force field can go difficult sometimes. Besides that, nothing that has really caught my preying eyes.
The servers are quite stable too, there have been restarts, but nothing too big that i have encountered.
So all in all, a good experience on that regard.
The fellow players seem quite alright too. I have heard of cheaters in the game, but havent really been able to identify myself any at all. So its a very big minority if there are any at all. You can always report cheaters in game.
Friendly fire exists in the game. So you have the occassional grenade that kills you and your neighbour thrower 8-). Someone that runs you over with a tank, or a person that shoots you when you scared the hell out of him think that you are the enemy.
Now I think i pretty much have had all the bad that I can think of in this game. If you dont mind all of that. Then you are very likely to enjoy this free to play game too!

If you start playing. Then i very much suggest watchign those tutorials that Lazz mentioned before.

There are quite a few so if you dont feel like checking em all out then be sure to check the base lay out one. It very much tells you what you need to capture in the maps to be effective. A must see if you dont know how to.
The certification points and the what class should i play are quite handy too, but you can jump in and do well without reading those.

Now as said before the game is free to play, but you can pay to get things faster, or get pretty things for some cash. This game is NO pay to win! You can get anything for free by investing time, however it WILL take time. But you can be very effective with ANY class right from the first time you start playing it.
You need cert(ification) points to buy better weapons, or certain extra abilities. Which are all simply called Certs. An example of a cert, being able to sprint 30% faster then others or getting access to a semi automatic sniper rifle.
Please note that many Certs are only available to only one class, so spend the most points in your favorite class. For me that is also currently the infiltrator, but i also play engineers and heavy assaults a lot.
How much points does a Cert cost you ask? Well there are a few super cheap ones, costing only 1 point, but you will run out of those soon and it will start going to 30 to 100 points a cert quickly. And the most expensive weapons cost 1000 points. It takes quite a bit of time to get those. According to the WIKI you get 1 point passively each hour (offline OR online!), you get one point for each 250XP. Also, you get a certain amount of points for getting medals. (http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/Medal)
Also try joining squads for getting more XP and spot enemies with Q (default) You get a nice 15xp if that target gets killed by someone else for not having to pull the trigger!
Now about the classes, i can say that every single class is good in the game. They have their uses and you will not feel obsolete. I think that support classes might even be the ones that gain the most points.
Also some might say you cant play this game as a lone wolf, well i think you can. Pick your spots well and you can make a difference at places that have low activity. If not, auto join a squad (insert default) and try to help capture the base :).

Anyway, feel free to try it out. I'm on Ceres(EU) playing for the VS.

If you like to know more, feel free to ask :)

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 am

I've downloaded it (through steam) just have to find time to give it a go.
But BLOPS2 is calling my name for this weekend, and not half way through either Dishonoured or Borderland 2

Just for once I seem to have too many games to play.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] DressyVirus

Postby [FnG] DressyVirus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 pm

It is one i kept a eye on for awhile.

downloaded and installed but cant get it to run, it really doesnt like my graphics card. will have to wait til i change rigs.
"Today's gamers are some of the most whiny, self-centered, narcissistic bunch of crybabies I've ever seen, honestly." Lyria DDO Forumns

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:22 pm

There used to be an issue with logging in on the steam version if you are a EU player, because the steam version only gave you the US client, and you cannot log in on the US servers if you got an EU account (EU players can get US accounts though).

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:33 pm

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:There used to be an issue with logging in on the steam version if you are a EU player, because the steam version only gave you the US client, and you cannot log in on the US servers if you got an EU account (EU players can get US accounts though).

Could explain when after dling through steam I then had to re-download through its own proggy. Annoying meaning I still havent tried it yet...
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 pm

Hmm didnt have to do that one, though I did a lil tweak in some file so it would connect to the right server, did a small update and then it was all good.
Oh, I have downloaded several patches over time. Could be that you can only get the non patched client, even on steam and gotta patch.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

I finally got into the game and had a few hours, not that keen so far but I might give it another chance at the weekend.

Firstly I get a bad graphics glitch after about 30 mins when the screen turns background 'puce' colour repeatedly.
Secondly its just the game seems emm pointless. I know its about winning holding sectors etc.
BUT you can't win it. We take their base they take ours ad infinitum its an endless tug of war.

As I say might get another go this weekend.
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Yeah, thats true, it has no real meaning. You do get bonus' if you conquer an entire continent, and thus getting a minor advantage at some resources. Thus more wins = better gear.
I'd say the biggest thing here in this game is having fun with teamplay. As in a continues UT assault. Taking objectives, optional ones or not, and defending them or losing them to the enemy again.
If there is one minor gripe i currently woudl have then its trying to take down a fully loaded galaxy, its an airship with 4 turrents. It rains death to below. You can hurt them with rockets hard, but only with non guided ones, though they rarely hit. Or using guided ones but they dont even seem to scare them..

Return to “Other Games”