Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The place to talk about any other games that the clan doesn't currently play or just the place to talk about other games in general.
[FnG] N!MRoD

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm

I thought we should have at least one topic on our forums for this (imo) great game.

For those that dont know, its an RPG but you can play it as a shooter or you can go stealth. You can even talk your way out of many things. Or you can mix things up. As you like.

Now what did I like so much about this game?
First of all. The story and its setting. Its in the not so distant future, and you play as Mr Adam Jenkins. The security officer of one of the greatest companies in augmentation technology (Sarif Industries).
What is this technology you say? Well, they are all kinds of mechanic prosthetics. Arms, legs, brain implants and so on. this video ( clicky) gives you a better idea.
Now this has helped many people. Imagine war veterans, car accident victims, blind people or people that never could have walked. They are now no longer impaired if they get augmented. However not everyone agree with this, and there is a big moral conflict going on in society and much social unrest as a result.
To make matters worse. An augmentation is not accepted by the human body and it will soon start rejecting your shiney new prosthetic or implant. However there is a medicine that counters this. So as long as you take it, then you are safe. But you can imagine what happens to people that lose their job and are augmented. They beg hoping to get the meds for their implants and when they get now meds, then their implants get rejected with possible death as a result..
Also, not augmented people have a hard time competing with augmented people. At some places its starting to get the norm to be augmented, else you'll get left behind. So this creates even more to the social unrest.
Now, what happened to Mr Jenkins?
Well he is a not augmented human but he gets severly injured early on in the game and he gets augmented so his life can be saved. But his boss even goes a bit further then the necessary now he has the chance.
You now are an augmented human with pretty much the best of the best there is, but not by your own choice. You are thrown in this worlds events and if done well then you can change their course. How will you decide? Do your best to see through the lies of corporate worlds. And see how the crowds can be played. The story managed to surprise me a few times. Which I liked. I hope you do too :)

Gameplay wise its a RPG with a heavy shooter influence. You can decided to go through the game with guns blazing and upgrade yourself leaning towards this kind of playstyle. Or you can try going non mortal take downs instead (tranquilizers and stuff) Or you can go stealth, sneaking around. Needs patience though and its quite difficult. Each map has ways that facility these playstyle, of course, those ways arent in plain sight.
You generally have a few maps/ facilities where your enemies are concentrated and they are connected by a few big maps/ city hubs. You'll find yourself returning often to these hubs.
Now upgrading yourself is a fun thing to do. You will have to make so tough choices probably because there is quite a bit of cool stuff to take.
For example. You could decide to upgrade your arm augmentation. There are several upgrades for this. For example, one is that you can carry more in your inventory. Though another is that you can lift and move heavier objects and thus reach places that you could not before. Or you can learn how to punch through weakend walls, again opening up other passage ways in the world. Or if you have enough upgrade points (praxis points) then you can just take them all. However its impossible to get them all.

Also worth mentioning is the great atmosphere they set with a nice musical score and actually nice graphics and great use of colors. Also as being half machine you got this quite cool interface which you can upgrade even futher. Adds quite a bit to the cool factor.

Anyways, to round up. This has been the best game last year and if you like the genre then you should pick it up. Its likely to be quite a bit cheaper already now.
And for those that already have done so and played it. Feel free to share your experience! :)
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Hanno

Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks for the write up Nim, I will add this to my list for the winter boredom months...
(assuming GW2 isnt eating too much time!)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Bawsy

Postby [FnG] Bawsy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:40 am

Completed this a few months ago on the Xbox. Cost me £4 from ebay for a mint copy. It was a very good game...a bit slow to start with, but once I got used to the stealth I enjoyed it a lot. Most games outstay their welcome, but this one was just the right length in my opinion.

Recommended, but....Ive just recently discovered Fallout 3, and it's even better. So much more enjoyable than skyrim (I prefer the setting, and it has guns!)

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:06 am

I loved the first Deus Ex and mostly ignored those afterwards. From what I heard this is a true successor to the first and it did get enough praise. Still, I can't get past the slow start for now. After this write-up I should have enough fuel to burn through there tough and wait for the good things to happen!

Return to “Other Games”