Main stream Games blah

The place to talk about any other games that the clan doesn't currently play or just the place to talk about other games in general.
[FnG] Hanno

Main stream Games blah

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri May 17, 2013 3:09 pm

I had a nasty experience on Wednesday. I spent all day downloading Tera.
Played through the prologue and decided I hate MMO's maybe it didnt help that I felt ill due to changes in meds
but over all I don't feel that inclined to try it again, mainly because of the been there- seen that- done that.
I feel the same about Neverwind online which I tried the week before.
I at least got to the lvl cap in GW2 before I hit the boredom wall.

I love the whole concept of exploring in MMO's etc but all of these current MMOs seem to be using the same xp-lvl up- new skills- harder mobs- formula.
There seems very little to differentiate between them and the worst thing it it doesnt matter if you die.
Minor death penelties - die - run back to the fighting - finish off mob - mend armour -
make the game too easy and theres no challenge. Whats more is I don't feel invested as much
in my character when he dies at least once an hour.

I hark back to my introduction in MMO's Ultima Online.
When you died then, you felt it. You respawned naked, had to run back find your corpse
(which if it was in the middle of a monster infester cave was HARD) and get your armour/sword etc back
It made you a bit more cautious and meant being in party was essential to survival, if only to ensure
some one could grab the armour off your cooling corpsical. And thats not mentioning the RED PVP shard
and other people looting your stuff.
UO might look pretty basic now compared to the fancy graphics we have now, but at least there I cared about
my poor avatar . My main was called Three Toes ( the clumsy axeman) and I still have the screen shots on my PC 12 years later.

In current MMO's there is no doubt that you will reach the lvl cap - just like everyone else. Given enough time
it takes the skill of a five year old. Given enough time (and resilence to idiots) you can also get the best gear
from dungeons - it takes very little actual skill just a lot of time, luck and dice rolls.
Space invaders in the arcades was harder - how many people got 100000000 points?
You only had 3 lives so that took some skill.

My next bad point against current MMOS is that the PVP comes down to ganking. Rarely in any subgame type do you
get to go 1 on 1 to see who is better. In UO there wasnt any subgames, we just used to arrange our our 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 tournaments.
The thrill of beating someone in a fair fight far outweighes any momentry pleasure of a ganking well done.

Oddly enough ganking in FPS games doesnt seem to happen in the same way. Maybe this is because most fights
are over in 2 seconds rather than more drawn out in the MMO games. As such PVP in FPS is much more fun -
especially when its eve you have just shot when he thought he was going to knife you.
But FPS are great when playing with friends and tepid at best when playing with random idiots.

I've also actually been quite partial to the simplicity of the Zombie coop in blackops.
A) its straight forward B) Its difficult enough to challenge C) There is a clear achievement/score ie we got to round 9 that
time lets get to round 10 next time. D) Its a laugh to play with friends.
Just a shame theres not enough content in it.

All the large mainstream games seem to be going the same way so more and more i'm watching the indie games
for something to relieve the boredom. Hoping that something new - truly new and at least slightly challenging will come along.

Perhaps someone will produce the perfect base building /defending survival coop just for me....
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Re: Main stream Games blah

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Fri May 17, 2013 3:27 pm

sorry you feel that way but i do understand where you come from...the company that comes up with a real novel idea could make a killing, though im afraid nowadays it's all about getting the ROI in about 3 months everything after that is a bonus..

That said..i do remember a time that in DDO I ended up in my underwear after all the damage to my armor ended up actually destroying it ...luckily lilly had a spare robe in her inventory, but yes a trip to the armor dude after the dungeon did fix it all :mrgreen:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Fri May 17, 2013 7:00 pm

I understand were your coming from Hanno with the way we treat our characters in MMO's now compared to say 10 years ago when if you died there was a proper penantly in place. First MMO I played was Legend of Mir 2 (before it went F2P) if you died in there you had a 90% chance the enchantment stone you carried was destroyed, you also had a chance you drop 1 or more pieces of armor which would have been swipped by another passing player. There was also little to know "safety" areas you could and would be jumped by the Pkers, you would die, you would be annoyed and even though they would "curse" their own equipment, be banned from towns (as the guards would 1-2 hit kill you) for a random amount of time depending on just how many you killed it was still something you had to watch out for. By the time the game was coming to an end no one had hit the max lvl and very few groups had actually killed the games "final/strongest" boss, which also became stronger with every player it killed.

At the moment there's no real reason to care if your character die's in game, the armor repair costs are moot. At least with Tera there is a chance some of your characters equipment will be destroyed. With GW2 I originally thought that's what happened when your died to much and your armor took to much damage but was surprised when it didn't.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Fri May 17, 2013 8:08 pm

Hanno, you are right. You are what we call "a hardcore gamer", i hope you are not offended by that.
Sadly enough for us hardcores, most others arent hardcore. For example i know plenty friends of mine would be set off by such game mechanics as servere death penalties and would drop the game if they lost their stuff a 2nd time. If peeps dont play then they also dont pay...

Though i am sure there are still MMO's out there that got such things, EVE Online me thinks for one, also one of the oldest still running MMO's?

Also, UO wasnt all that nice. I'd say you are romatizing it a bit. I remember being ganked plenty when leveling up, and there were even PK guilds. They werent there for to give me a nice time. Still it was more "real" in a way.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat May 18, 2013 2:51 pm

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:Hanno, you are right. You are what we call "a hardcore gamer", i hope you are not offended by that.
Sadly enough for us hardcores, most others arent hardcore. For example i know plenty friends of mine would be set off by such game mechanics as servere death penalties and would drop the game if they lost their stuff a 2nd time. If peeps dont play then they also dont pay...

Though i am sure there are still MMO's out there that got such things, EVE Online me thinks for one, also one of the oldest still running MMO's?

Also, UO wasnt all that nice. I'd say you are romatizing it a bit. I remember being ganked plenty when leveling up, and there were even PK guilds. They werent there for to give me a nice time. Still it was more "real" in a way.

I don't consider myself a hardcore gamer , I'm much too casual in playing habits these days. And its only MMO's that I think have gone far too player friendly, most solo games have difficultly settings to make it hard.
It's just in an MMO getting to lvl 80 just seems an empty achievement when its that easy though.

On the UO side , I'm sure I was romantising it. But after the shards were separated and you could stay on Trammel if you preferred PvP ganking was 'optional' We used to take day trips to the 'rough' facet
but home was safe :-) And you never took your best armour if you were going somewhere really bad.

UO might of been a bit short on content, but we made up our own. Plus it had a decent housing system which really hasn't been rivalled in an MMO yet (Except maybe by SWG which in most ways was
an awful game). The main thing is dying actually meant some thing - the fear of dying felt more real - Ancient Liches literally made me shake and fall off my chair.
Very few games now give me the adrenaline rush I used to get from games like UO plus a few other earlier games such as the original doom and alone in the dark.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm

I think it might be the 'first' experience that has a special effect, like you mentioned the thrill of Doom, Wolf3d, but Quake was already a bit more 'boring' after a few levels.
Same goes for the MMO's the first ones make this special impression, that can not be leveled up. Racing games, like GP2 (GP1 was CGA graphics) quite realistic, after that it became boring.
UT was the only game that lasted longer then any other game I've played.

So it's basically needed to invent a whole new type of game in order to satisfy the hunger for games.
I challenge you to invent, discover, create a new type of game :crazy:

ImageImage

Return to “Other Games”