DE's WarPath .... Pariah 2?

The place to talk about any other games that the clan doesn't currently play or just the place to talk about other games in general.
[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

DE's WarPath .... Pariah 2?

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:46 am

So DE is putting out a new game, WarPath.

Their last game, Pariah, was a flop, and a PR nightmare. Burned all their community goodwill, it seems. So they're putting out another FPS, with upgradable weapons a la Pariah; and at least one of said weapons looks like it came right out of Pariah (see the WarPath trailer).

The best thing about Pariah, IMHO, was the ONS-ish MP gametype "Front Line Assault," which is going to be featured in WarPath, along with DM, TDM and CTF. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me ... but WarPath is hitting the market at US$20. For that price, I think I'm going to give DE another chance. And that's the way I see it.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:13 pm

Sure it's not an Expension pack? I mean come on... 20 bucks... that's a bargain! :D

I might give it a look see...
Image Image

[FnG] Jules

Postby [FnG] Jules » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:06 pm

Downloaded the trailer, its no UT but still looks good i may buy it

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:07 am

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:I mean come on... 20 bucks... that's a bargain! :D

Exactly ... for US$20, I will give DE a chance for redemption. Which is, I presume, why the price is so low. I'm really hoping they get Front Line Assault right - they were close last time. They specifically mention in the press release that this will be a fast-moving game, addressing another problem with Pariah.

I think WarPath is meant to be DE's way of saying, "Sorry, we'll get it right this time."

[FnG] Kaidan Fenix

Postby [FnG] Kaidan Fenix » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:54 pm

ah the graphics look so old :shock:
Michael Jackson wrote:This is what I do when I see an Xbox360. . .I turn 360 degrees and moonwalk away, whoo hoo!

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:44 am

Just learned about a new motivation for putting out WarPath: DE wants to put out the game to satisfy their contract with Groove.

Well, for $20, I'll probably still give this a try, unless the demo really sucks or the game is known to be otherwise totally borked shortly after release.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:49 am

MP Demo has been released. I played it a little last night, and a little more this afternoon, probably about 4 games total, but I think that's enough.

It's Pariah Lite in Lo-Grav. Very floaty. The demo unlocks only 3 weapons: reskinned Frag Rifle, Bulldog and Grenade Launcher from Pariah. The healing tool is also there. Except that this time, the grenade launcher seems even more overpowered and imbalanced. Pariah's GL was only a little overpowered, and I think that was mainly due to its easy learning curve relative to some of the other weapons. This time around, it seems legitimately flawed.

Warpath for PC will only cost $20. Yet, I may find a better use for $20... like a passably decent bottle of gin, or 1/2 the cost of a hand-made Kentucky bourbon. And the booze would last someone like me A LOT longer than this game would stay on my HD.

Groove/DE's solution to the laughably weak story line in Pariah? Use Pariah's assets to put out a game with almost no story lone whatsoever. And no SP to speak of.

(Well. There will be an SP game, but it sounds like something akin to the SP ladder in the UT games. Might be fun, but not engaging in any meaningful way.)

Stormside

Postby Stormside » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:17 am

Tried out the demo myself. Took all of 5 mins before I deleted it. Wish
Black was coming out for the PC. May have to fire up the old Xbox.
ImageImage

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Blast from the past.

Wait long enough for a game, and it might be available for free ... which is juuust the right price for this dog. Well, the demo was worth a few yucks for me, and the single player game is a bit different from the standard FPS corridor-crawler, so I might download it ... for free.

Got cher Warpath (free) right here, buddy.

(I know, this doesn't link straight to the download site, but this link gets you a bit more background and then takes you where you MIGHT want to go.)

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:21 pm

I never downloaded this. Anyone else? If so, what did you think?

Too bad DE has sunk so low that folks won't even look at their crap for free anymore.

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Never heard of this before, clicked the link, link of a link, yadayada, ended up at the comments for that news post:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=186209

Generally, 9 / 10 people say it's awful & uninstalled. 1 / 10 are people that had played it before xD Seems like it's still very limited in content, you have to sign up to skillgrounds.com & use their game managing software etc.... Doesn't seem worth the hassle ;) I also read that people using the free version can only play with people via skillgrounds, and not anyone else who may be playing via retail?

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:53 am

So, basically, it sucks.

:)

Return to “Other Games”