Need help troubleshooting

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FDG]Sundae

Need help troubleshooting

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:26 pm

OK - I have a problem in Guild Wars. This one's a bit on the unusual side, but I figured I'd see if anyone here could help.

I live in Connecticut. (East coast USA, near New York for you euros.) Guild Wars seems to think I am German. All my connections to their servers are routed through Toronto, then to NY, across the pond to London, then to Amsterdam, and then to Frankfurt Germany as their final destination. I average between 500-900 ping on a regular basis now, and very VERY rarely get below that.

I was debating maybe it was just a weird routing issue, but then Chokky and I went and farmed balthazar faction yesterday. His "X faction per day" timer resets at 3:00PM EST, which is the appropriate time for east-coast USA. The USA GW servers are based on Pacific Time, and "day" resets at 12:00 noon pacific, AKA 3:00PM eastern time. We discovered that mine resets at 9:00PM eastern time, aka GMT+1.

Even though I'm here in the USA, it's treating me like I'm in Germany and is waiting until my clock says what Germany's said 6 hours earlier to reset day-specific timers, like faction farming limits, starts of events, etc. I play with terrible pings because I'm constantly connected across the Atlantic, my timers are all off-set by 6 hours, but I still can see everyone and am "connected" to the USA servers. It's almost acting like I'm a guest account in the USA or something, like the old change-your-region features of old.

I have tried switching to euro servers and back again. No change.

Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever on how to fix this?

[FnG] Marie

Re: Need help troubleshooting

Postby [FnG] Marie » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Well as far as I understood beeing connected to a german city means having a german account..
Have you maybe bought your Guild Wars from a Trade from Germany? :)

How are your ping's if you are on the german district? Worse or better?

And I think the support could help you with the issue, I don't know their email adress, maybe someone else can help you with that :)

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:55 pm

I bought mine from a store in the USA. Retail copy. All expansions were retail copies as well. They were all put on the USA region back when region-codes existed. (back when you could change 3-4 times per year, or whatever that was.)

My pings in the actual german district seem slightly better, but not statistically significant difference. (maybe 50-80 lower, but hard to judge given the size of my ping.)

I'll try ANet support.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:48 pm

Definitely go to Anet support - that sounds very weird.

Sphinx
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

Return to “MMO Gaming”