FTL: faster then light

The place to talk about any other games that the clan doesn't currently play or just the place to talk about other games in general.
[FnG] N!MRoD

FTL: faster then light

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:20 pm

A nice little indie develloped gem that i happened on to. A result from the kickstarter project, if i am not mistaken. Took some download to check it out and suddenly i noticed i had been playing it for nearly a day :s
So since it is at a discount for a mere 7 dollars, i just decided to buy it.

Its a space combat game, ship versus ship and you gotta move through sectors to deliver some crucial info. Not much of a story but the game itself is fun.
http://www.ftlgame.com/
For those that would be interested.
Oh, and the game is quite difficult on normal mode ...
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Re: FTL: faster then light

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:30 pm

A decent timesink, very entertaining... got to the last fight twice (on easy, admittedly) but I did put a good 15 hours in. Definatly worth a few bucks if you don't mind getting your ship wrecked by a solar flare burning away your ship chipping at your crew 1 by 1.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:21 pm

It is funny, but i often end up playing this game still. Though it is sometimes annoying that the universes are randomly generated, so it is impossible to plan your strategy. You have to adapt and do the best with what you get!

And solar flares, yeah annoying. A good trick to control fire is to vent rooms so fire sufficates. Or do the cheap upgrade of your doors for 25 scrap. Fire cant spread then. You can just let it burn in rooms with no systems :)
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:27 pm

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:Or do the cheap upgrade of your doors for 25 scrap. Fire cant spread then. You can just let it burn in rooms with no systems :)

Doh, I never even considered upgradeing that for no apparant reason (and can get quite overwhelmed by fire at times). Tough normally it does take a chunk of the hull too.

Did you ever beat it or get to the last fight on normal?

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Yeah i beat it on normal, i actually played through it at normal first time. It was difficult to say the least .. unforgiving. I expected another difficulty level to appear but that did not happen.
Havent unlocked all the ships yet though :/ would want the mantis one.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 am

I'd been meaning to buy this for a while, and noticed there was now an 'enhanced' edition - so I coughed up the doh.

Very nice little game of tactics, its a bit like playing a series of original Star Trek on fast forward.

Got to say I am lousy at it though. I played a few matches on normal and got slaughtered.
Got to the end fight on easy a few times but get slaughtered by the boss.
I've unlocked the three variants on the first ship and two variants on the torus I really want those other ships though!

Kept me busy for the weekend anyway :-)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue May 06, 2014 7:33 pm

You can consider normal as hard, since as far as i know there is no hard mode xD.
Anyway glad to hear you like it, now i am curious about this enhanced edition, gotta check that out!

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Awesome changes and additions!
I love the clone bay combo with 4 man instant teleporter with the teleporter healing automation xD
Though havent dared setting the clone bay to 0 power compared to a medbay, which i only power when needed.
Also like that you can now man the door and scanner console, really nice options for the zoltan/ engi who are weak
Anyway having lots of fun, thanks Hanno for pointing it out! :)

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu May 08, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm definitely enjoying it.

I was trying hard to get the B layout Engi Cruiser (the Vortex) to the last sector to unlock the C layout for it.
Its pretty hard as you only start with one guy, I must of tried about 30 times , more often then not
getting wiped still in the first zone. In the end, I had an Ion/Laser/Ion weapon set up with a Boarding drone.
The idea was to take out Shield/Weapons and then hit O2 and suffocate those aliens swine, to get more loot.
This was working great, I got to sector 5? and then I mistakenly accepted a drink from a slug captain who
drugged us all and sabotaged our ship and blew us to pieces.

At this point in real life I kicked back in disgust and my PC crashed, so I automatically blamed the evil space
slug for breaking my PC. Sad to say worse than this was my PC wouldn't restart and as I was at work I had to
explain to my boss that an evil space slug had broken my PC and I couldn't get it to reboot and I couldn't even
pretend to be doing the work I was meant to be doing whilst playing FTL any more.
Could I please have a new PC to play FTL on? As I really needed to teach those space slugs a lesson.

This conversation wasn't going so great so finally I looked under my desk, and found at the point I kicked
back in disgust when my ship got blown up, I had inadvertently kicked the PC plug out of the extension socket...

The even better news was that when I came into work this morning and started up FTL, the game hadn't saved
my ship blowing up. It had auto saved just before then - so I went back and I refused the slugs alcahol
and kicked Space Slugs butt. I managed to get to the last sector and unlocked the C variant of the ship.
Hurrah. A happy ending.

Loving the game, there as so many different ship/weapon set ups to try.
And the game is so MEAN sometimes it funny.

BUT right now I have to go back to real work and negotiate my end of year bonus.
I mean I really deserve a bonus, who else would of be here to blow up space slugs if I wasn't? :cheerleader:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Thu May 08, 2014 6:23 pm

haha, nice story :D

Yeah, the game is really mean somtimes. I bought my first clone bay, i know its great to have for some of the encounters, where you better not take the risk because you can loose a crew member.
So now i could go crazy :D, so now i sent them aboard the space station with a dangerous virus, normally you only do this if you have a med bay lvl 2 or 3 then you can cure it (blue option) but well now i just went. A crew member died, awh, and was cloned back, yay :D
But then i encounter some Engi with some computerish virus, I had a engi crewmember, he talked but with the infected but got infected himself and died right away AND it messed up my clone bay so my engi couldnt be revived! I was UPSET!
And on top of that, the other ship started attacking me. So I killed them ! But then all of a sudden my engi came back to life, the virus had taken over and learned stuff etc etc and wanted to travel with me, on top of that, its experience had maxed out ALL the skills of my engi :D, sometimes the game can be nice too :D.

Anyway there are so many ways to play the game, and they can all work, i like it.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu May 15, 2014 1:13 pm

I won , I won, I won.

I have beaten the flagship once out of about 50 games.

ON EASY MODE!
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Thu May 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Good job Hanno !

The trick i usually apply is, I try to kill the enemy crew by suffication on the first fight. As in kill their air supply. Can be tricky though.
The other fights you can easily board and wreak havoc, since you will have little to no enemy on board resistance and, well they wont dump their crew on your ship :D
Repeat on 3rd fight.

And dang, getting caught by the persueing fleet really hurts now :(

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:17 am

I don't usually go boarding, but I am trying that next.

I just completed again on easy using the Zoltan Adjudicator.
I had great luck getting, cloak, stealth weapons, and weapon preignitors.
Was using Glaive Beam and Flak 2 mainly with Pegasus missiles as an alternative.
Absolutely romped home to the end map - the rebel flag ship part 1 + 2 went easy but part 3 was still a struggle.
I had multiple breaches , 3/4 of my ship was on fire, 1/2 my crew dead and I had 3 hull bars left when I killed it.
I've unlocked the Mantis now so I'm going to try a boarding build with them next.
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Oh Preignitors, they are expensive but super great, especially if you have 4 weapon slots. They are quite rare :) And glaive beam is great too, too bad it needs so much energy xD.

And yeah, i suppose with the boarding lots of your crew got killed? I generally try to take my time to suffocate their crew by keeping their air supply down. Totally worth it if you are using a teleporter, then you have free reign on their ship, but even without teleporter it can be handy to avoid the big boarding of all their crew. Though i suppose you could handle it with having top blast doors and have them manned. I would open the doors to space and suffocate them.
The mantis version B is great. You then have a teleporter with 4 pads. I nowadays combine it with a clone bay and just ruthlessy board, the teleport heal augment is great too here. Few can resist, if any at all. Only annoying thing is to avoid damage to your ship sometimes.

And on a side note, i finally got my crystal ship ! Took forever XD

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:23 pm

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:Oh Preignitors, they are expensive but super great, especially if you have 4 weapon slots. They are quite rare :) And glaive beam is great too, too bad it needs so much energy xD.

And yeah, i suppose with the boarding lots of your crew got killed? I generally try to take my time to suffocate their crew by keeping their air supply down. Totally worth it if you are using a teleporter, then you have free reign on their ship, but even without teleporter it can be handy to avoid the big boarding of all their crew. Though i suppose you could handle it with having top blast doors and have them manned. I would open the doors to space and suffocate them.
The mantis version B is great. You then have a teleporter with 4 pads. I nowadays combine it with a clone bay and just ruthlessy board, the teleport heal augment is great too here. Few can resist, if any at all. Only annoying thing is to avoid damage to your ship sometimes.

And on a side note, i finally got my crystal ship ! Took forever XD

Managed to win on Easy with the Mantis B ship with a boarding build (Clone bay, Teleport heal)
Now unlocked my Sluggy A ship to try.

Is crystal ship through a quest?
Hanno's Law:

Return to “Other Games”